Apple has today released iOS 16.4 in its final beta form ahead of a public release that is expected to arrive sooner rather than later. Now, the company has also confirmed what has changed in this new update via its release notes.
The new update includes a number of changes and improvements which include some new features, improvements to existing features, and bug fixes.
At the top of the list of the new features is the addition of push notifications for web apps that have been added to the Home screen, making them behave more like real apps than ever before.
There is also a tweak that ensures Voice Isolation for cellular calls now prioritizes voice and blocks out ambient noise, the Photos app can now find duplicate photos and videos in an iCloud Shared Photo Library for the first time.
Apple says that it has also added as many as 21 new emoji, including animals, hand gestures, and objects. Other tweaks include a fix for a Home app issue that caused some Matter-compatible thermostats to become unresponsive.
The iOS 16.4 release notes also confirm that Apple has made changes to Crash Detection on the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro, likely to ensure that fewer calls are placed to emergency services when they aren’t needed.
We expect iOS 16.4 to be released to the public within days, so keep your eyes peeled for a new update.
The run down of the changes can be seen below:
- 21 new emoji including animals, hand gestures, and objects are now available in emoji keyboard
- Notifications for web apps added to the Home Screen
- Voice Isolation for cellular calls prioritizes your voice and blocks out ambient noise around you
- Duplicates album in Photos expands support to detect duplicate photos and videos in an iCloud Shared Photo Library
- VoiceOver support for maps in the Weather app
- Accessibility setting to automatically dim video when flashes of light or strobe effects are detected
- Fixes an issue where Ask to Buy requests from children may fail to appear on the parent’s device
- Addresses issues where Matter-compatible thermostats could become unresponsive when paired to Apple Home
- Crash Detection optimizations on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models
You may also like to check out: