There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Unfortunately, experiencing pain and failure is a part of life. We don’t always get to have happy days with perfect weather and endless successes. But sometimes setbacks are what we need to inspire us to reach our goals and triumph in the end.
Of course, during these difficult times it is nice to have some comfort. Whether it’s from a friend, a family member, or even a stranger, we find strength in their care and affection.
Today’s set of quotes can help provide that comfort. We have gathered the best and most sincere comforting quotes that you can use to cheer up yourself and your loved ones.
If you are currently experiencing difficult times, or if you want to comfort a friend or colleague who is facing challenges, then these quotes are exactly what you need.
But before we get to our list, let’s discuss some of the reasons why we need comfort in our lives.
Why Do We Need Comfort?
It is in our nature to long for warmth and affection from others. When people care for us, we tend to release the built-up tension that we’ve been holding due to the stresses of everyday life. We need comfort if we want to stay healthy and happy.
Comfort can also help us achieve our dreams. As we mentioned earlier, setbacks are inevitable, but one of the most helpful ways to get back up and try again is through receiving the comfort we desire and need.
75 Comforting Quotes to Share During Difficult Times
If you need something to help relieve your worries, or if you want to cheer up a friend who is currently experiencing a major downfall, read on for our list of quotes!
- “Have great hopes and dare to go all out for them. Have great dreams and dare to live them. Have tremendous expectations and believe in them.” – Norman Vincent Peale
- “If you can’t fly then run; if you can’t run then walk; if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
- “God is working for you tonight. Heaven is holding conversations about. Angels have been assigned to you. Be at peace.” – Anonymous
- “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” – Michael Jordan
- “You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in one drop.” – Rumi
- “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” – Psalm 23:4
- “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
- “Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – A.A. Milne
- “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars.” – Og Mandino
- “Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.” – Mark Twain
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.” – Mark Twain
- “You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.” – James Allen
- “It’s not whether you get knocked down; it’s whether you get up.” – Vince Lombardi
- “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day, saying, I will try again tomorrow.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
- “Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.” – Lyndon B. Johnson
- “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” – Henry Ford
- “We’re here for a reason. I believe a bit of the reason is to throw little torches out to lead people through the dark.” – Whoopi Goldberg
- “The world offers you comfort. But you were not made for comfort. You were made for greatness.” – Pope Benedict XVI
- “Do not give way to useless alarm; though it is right to be prepared for the worst, there is no occasion to look on it as certain.” – Jane Austen
- “Don’t cry when the sun is gone because the tears won’t let you see the stars.” – Violeta Para
- “I think that if you live long enough, you realize that so much of what happens in life is out of your control — but how you respond to it is in your control.” – Hillary Clinton
- “I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done.” – Lucille Ball
- “Feelings are much like waves, we can’t stop them from coming but we can choose which ones to surf.” – Jonatan Martensson
- “Just because you fail once doesn’t mean you’re gonna fail at everything.” – Marilyn Monroe
- “When things don’t go according to your plan it doesn’t mean that things are not going according to God’s plan.” – Karen Tripp
- “There is no normal life that is free of pain. It’s the very wrestling with our problems that can be the impetus for our growth.” – Fred Rogers
- “Whatever you’re facing right now, there’s a way out.” – Paul Jukes
- “Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they’re supposed to help you discover who you are.” – Bernice Johnson Reagon
- “It’s not exactly like you thought it would be, you think it’s a failure. What about the spectrum of colors in between.” – Sara Evans
- “Sometimes our light goes out, but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being.” – Albert Schweitzer
- “Never let your head hang down. Never give up and sit down and grieve. Find another way. And don’t pray when it rains if you don’t pray when the sun shines.” – Leroy Satchel Paige
Never let your head hang down. Never give up and sit down and grieve. Find another way. And don’t pray when it rains if you don’t pray when the sun shines.” – Leroy Satchel Paige
- “The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests.” – Epictetus
- “It is only in our darkest hours that we may discover the true strength of the brilliant light within ourselves that can never, ever, be dimmed.” – Doe Zantamata
- “The greatest glory in living lies not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail.” – Nelson Mandela
- “Just as despair can come to one only from other human beings, hope, too, can be given to one only by other human beings.” – Elie Wiesel
- “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” – Carl Bard
- “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.” – Douglas Adams
- “Don’t be discouraged. It’s often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock.” – Anonymous
- “So dry your tears. Fortune has not yet turned her hatred against all your blessings. The storm has not yet broken upon you with too much violence. Your anchors are holding firm and they permit you both comfort in the present, and hope in the future.” – Boethius
- “There’s a sorrow and pain in everyone’s life, but every now and then there’s a ray of light that melts the loneliness in your heart and brings comfort like hot soup and a soft bed.” – Hubert Selby Jr.
- “There are no great people in this world, only great challenges which ordinary people rise to meet.” – William Frederick Halsey Jr.
- “Snuggle in God’s arms. When you are hurting, when you feel lonely, left out. Let him cradle you, comfort you, reassure you of His all-sufficient power and love.” – Kay Arthur
- “I give up freely what is no longer serving me. I release it to create space for what inspires me.” – Anonymous
- “You are on the floor crying, and you have been on the floor crying for days. And that is you being brave. That is you getting through it as best you know how. No one else can decide what your tough looks like.” – Clementine von Radics
- “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “You’ve got to stay strong to be strong in tough times.” – Tilman J. Fertitta
- “If you’re going through hell, keep going.” – Winston Churchill
- “Surprise yourself everyday with your own courage.” – Denholm Elliott
- “Show me someone who has done something worthwhile, and I’ll show you someone who has overcome adversity.” – Lou Holtz
- “I like to use the hard times in the past to motivate me today.” – Dwayne Johnson
- “Encourage yourself, believe in yourself, and love yourself. Never doubt who you are.” – Stephanie Lahart
Encourage yourself, believe in yourself, and love yourself. Never doubt who you are.” – Stephanie Lahart
- “There are moments when troubles enter our lives and we can do nothing to avoid them. But they are there for a reason. Only when we have overcome them will we understand why they were there.” – Paulo Coelho
- “Tough times never last, but tough people do.” – Robert H Schuller
- “There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work, there are no limits.” – Michael Phelps
- “Connecting with those you know love, like and appreciate you restores the spirit and gives you energy to keep moving forward in this life.” – Deborah Day
- “Energy and persistence conquers all things.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” – Vince Lombardi
- “If you feel like giving up, give up on that feeling and give into the realization there are endless possibilities waiting to be discovered before you.” – Tom Althouse
- “Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.” – Helen Keller
- “We may encounter many defeats, but we must not be defeated.” – Maya Angelou
- “Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “One word of encouragement can be enough to spark someone’s motivation to continue with a difficult challenge.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me…. You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.” – Walt Disney
- “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” – Confucius
- “Every adversity brings new experiences and new lessons.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
- “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” – Randy Pausch
- “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” – Nelson Mandela
- “Do not sit still; start moving now. In the beginning, you may not go in the direction you want, but as long as you are moving, you are creating alternatives and possibilities.” – Rodolfo Costa
- “Hard times are sometimes blessings in disguise. We do have to suffer but in the end it makes us strong, better and wise.” – Anurag Prakash Ray
- “You’re going to go through tough times – that’s life. But I say, ‘Nothing happens to you, it happens for you.’ See the positive in negative events.” – Joel Osteen
- “The trick is to enjoy life. Don’t wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead.” – Marjorie Pay Hinckley
The trick is to enjoy life. Don’t wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead.” – Marjorie Pay Hinckley
- “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” – Dale Carnegie
- “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” – Helen Keller
- “When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “Difficult roads always lead to beautiful destinations.” – Zig Ziglar
- “Sometimes it’s okay if the only thing you did today was breathe.” – Yumi Sakugawa
Final Words on Comforting Quotes
We all need comfort, even if we think we don’t. We hope that you found the comfort you’ve been longing for in our set of comforting quotes.
We also hope that we were able to help you find the right words to share with a friend, colleague, or family member who’s in need of a bit of support.
And if you want more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.